May 10, 2018 Board Meeting




Held May 10, 2018

A meeting of the RUSA Board of Directors was convened by telephone conference and called to order at 1708 PDT by the President. 

The following Directors were in attendance:

• Debra Banks

• John Lee Ellis

• John Capn Ende

• Nigel Greene

• Jake Kassen

• Lois Springsteen

• Dave Thompson


The minutes from the April 4, 2018 board meeting were approved.

The Treasurer distributed reports prior to the meeting. More reflective equipment has been ordered due to popular sales. The wool jersey vendor has material in stock so expects to ship the backordered items mid-month. Lesson learned: if we need to limit an order, we should know in advance from the vendor so we can advise our members.

20th Anniversary activities were discussed. Medals have been ordered and there is a volunteer to do the shipping prior to the anniversary. Updates to the online store will be needed so RBAs can place orders for their events. Patch design was reviewed and approved and it was decided that 1,000 patches will be ordered. Voler is still on target for an early June store opening and 50 caps will be added to the Voler store in addition to the “on demand” anniversary jerseys. Details will be publicized to the membership using Mail Chimp, Facebook, and our website.

The Treasurer also reported that Voler is working on adding caps to their “on demand” offering so they could be an ongoing item and they will set up RUSA’s art work for the Peloton DX (upscale) jersey. Our PBP jersey design should be planned by the end of the year.

The Treasurer is working on sales tax compliance with the state of Florida.

The RBA Liaison reported that there are several retiring RBAs but that good transition plans are in place. RBA applications are forthcoming for Board review.

The Board discussed adding an Awards Proposal Committee to help vet awards and to refine proposals as needed for review by the board. The President will distribute a proposed charter for this new committee and then solicit member participation.

Sophie Matter, ACP, had asked if RUSA is planning to schedule the Trace Nationale for next year in conjuction with the Fleche Nationale. The Board discussed adding this event to our menu of ACP events. The RBA Liaison will poll the RBAs to gather opinions on this. The President will solicit input from the Team Randonnee Committee to determine if this is a worthwhile addition.

The Membership Chairman proposed that the Permanents Committee be given discretion to limit event submissions from members. MOTION: Make it clear in RUSA rules and procedures that the perms committee has the discretion to limit and/or disapprove route submissions subject to an appeal process. PASSED. The President will ask the Rules Committee to prepare appropriate language for our rules and procedures.

The meeting was adjourned at 1909 PDT.