March 11, 2020 Board Meeting




Held March 11, 2020


A meeting of the RUSA Board of Directors was convened by telephone conference and called to order by the president at 17:06 PDT.

The Directors in attendance were:

• Debra Banks

• Pete Dusel

• John Lee Ellis

• John Ende

• Lois Springsteen

• Tim Sullivan

• Dave Thompson



A motion was made and passed to approve the meeting minutes from February 12, 2020,

The following e-votes were approved on a motion by Tim and seconded by Dave:

            The RBA-L may approve of schedule changes to RUSA events without the Board reviewing the schedule change

            Membership applications may be accepted on the day of the ride based on enacted rules including verification to the RBA of the submitted application and verification of payment of the membership dues, either by PayPal or check, prior to the ride start.

            Rule for minors riding in events in jurisdictions that allow for waivers to be signed on behalf of a minor with the event entirely within that jurisdiction

            Rules for make-up rides for P-12 and R-12 being completed by the end of April 2020

            Greg Smith’s application to enlarge his region to the Quad Cities area

Lois presented a treasurer’s report including a Statement of Financial Position, a Statement of Financial Position Comparison and a cash flow analysis for the rest of 2020.

Tim reported on the ongoing litigation. Starr’s motion for summary judgment has been continued to April 8, 2020. The Romo trial has been continued to December 7, 2020. RUSA responded to the Romo discovery requests.

John Lee reported on the work by the Web Team.  A new server, programming language and operating system will be installed and operational on the evening of March 12, 2020.These upgrades will keep the website using recent supported software versions and in particular security updates.

Dave reported on insurance for a permanent program. One inquiry was ruled out because the deductible was too high with a corresponding premium that was in excess of RUSA’s annual budget. He will continue looking for other insurance sources .Deb raised the thought of preparing for a new centralized permanent program if insurance is obtained for permanents, Deb, John Lee and Dave will work on a possible program

John Lee had presented an analysis of differences between the fleche rules used by RUSA as compared to the ACP and BRM. After discussion it was decided to send to the Rules Committee for review and possible language adopting the ACP’s rule requiring the distance being ridden be between 80% and 120% of the proposed distance with a minimum distance of 360KM ridden.

John Lee reported on the issue of gender identity. He will revise the text for joining/renewing/ revising memberships to read:” Would you like to be included in female rider stats, and be denoted as female in results conveyed to Audax Club Parisien and Randonneurs Mondiaux?

John Lee reported on the implementation on the web site of the 3 day submission timeline for scheduling events. Once the new server is operational the Web Team will make the change to the website and will then notify Pete so he can communicate the change and the implementation to the RBAs.

Pete reported on the sale of RUSA handbooks. Approximately 644 have been sold and approximately 562 remain.

Dave stated that Progress Printing can reformat the Handbook into a page flip format for $200. He will ask them to do the work and once the paper Handbooks have either been sold or recycled a Handbook in page flip format will be put onto the website.

John Lee reported that the reference to the Handbook being provided as a membership benefit has been removed from the website.

Deb has discussed with Jake Kassen listing members who have won the Rando Scout award alphabetically rather than by tier groups and then number of different event routes ridden by the member. The only issue is to how to be able to report those members who have reached a new tier level. Jake was going to discuss with Lynne Fitzsimmons. Deb will do a follow up with Jake.

Dave reported on the issue of a member receiving same day multiple ride credit. He had contacted the ACP and the ACP allows a rider to receive credit for multiple rides on the same day. The multiple credit can occur if a member does a worker’s pre-ride for one event and then rides another event on the day of the scheduled ride that was pre-ridden. After discussion this was sent to the Rules Committee to prepare a possible rule on the condition that the multiple rides cannot be for the same event.

Dave also requested that the Rules Committee prepare instructions on the proper manner of identifying an event on a ride waiver.

The meeting was adjourned at 19:16 PDT.