February 12, 2020 Board Meeting




Held February 12, 2020


A meeting of the RUSA Board of Directors was convened by telephone conference and called to order by the president at 1703 PST.

The Directors in attendance were:

• Debra Banks

• Pete Dusel

• John Lee Ellis

• John Ende

• Lois Springsteen

• Tim Sullivan

• Dave Thompson



A motion was made and passed to approve the meeting minutes from January 8, 2020,

The following e-votes were considered: a motion to approve the e-vote on Brevet start time and rider elapsed time was made by Dave and seconded by Deb and passed; a motion to approve the e-vote on the 6-day rule for event submission and website time clock to Hawaii time was made by John Lee and seconded by Tim and passed, a motion to approve the e-vote on the rules for minors on rides was tabled pending resubmission of the rule language to the Board. The e-vote on the Rando Scout award was tabled for after discussion in the meeting

Tim then reported on the litigation. In the Starr case RUSA is responding to discovery request from Starr. The continued hearing on the motions for summary judgment filed by Starr is on March 4, 2020. In the Romo case we have submitted draft responses to the Romo’s discovery requests to our attorney. The trial has been continued to December 7, 2020.

Lois provided a treasurer’s report after providing the Board with financial reports including a Statement of Activity, a Statement of Financial Positon Comparison and a Financial Analysis. Lois will provide an estimate of membership dues that may be paid for the rest of the year and an estimate of the insurance fees that will be received from RBAs..

Next on the agenda was a discussion of the billing statement from Amy Stewart Law. Tim will be discussing the payment with the firm.


Next on the agenda was insurance and permanents. Dave is still waiting to hear back from one insurance agent on obtaining insurance for permanents.

Next on the agenda was a discussion on make up rides for members who want to complete a R-12 or P-12. Various options were discussed including members reporting personal rides, or having members ride multiple events and apply events retroactively to cover months that the member was unable to complete an event due to the suspension of the permanent program. After discussion Deb, John Lee, and Pete will prepare a proposal to be sent to members, subject to Board approval, that will modify the rules for the p-12 and R-12 to provide that members will have to ride 12 events in any 12 month period with at least 9 or 10 months with one event having been ridden.

Deb then reported on proposed changes on listing the members who are entitled to the Rando Scout Award. The Board had previously approved, by an e-vote, the listing of members who have earned that Rando Scout Award to be listed alphabetically rather than by tier levels. Deb further proposed that members who have achieved a new tier level be listed in AR. There was further discussion about listing next to the members name on the award list what tier level the member had achieved. Lois mentioned that Jake Kassen who maintains the award list on the website needs to be contacted as to the feasibility of generating a report for AR.  Motion was then passed to approve the e-vote pending technological support for reporting when a member reaches a new tier level in AR.

Next on the agenda was a discussion of a member’s gender designation. John Lee reported how a change will affect reporting on various awards and also reporting to the ACP and RM. After discussion John Lee will contact the RBA who raised the issue on gender designation and statistical reporting and information.

The next item on the agenda, multiple credits for rides on the same day and worker rides was tabled.

The next item on the agenda was the RUSA handbooks since the print shop where they are stored is closing at the end of February. Cap’n will contact Carl Derreth to move the 23 boxes of books to a temporary storage. Pete will contact RBAs to see if any would like to receive the handbooks provided the RBA pays the postage.

Deb then raised new business, changing the 6 day submission of an event to either 24 or 48 hours. After discussion, Pete made a motion seconded by Dave, to reduce the time to submit a RUSA event on the calendar from 6 days to 3 days subject to the approval of the Brevet Committee. The motion was passed.

The meeting was adjourned at 19:41PST.