By definition, a randonnée is a long ramble in the countryside. The American Explorer Award recognizes the achievements of RUSA members rambling across the United States. The award is earned by riding events that cover at least ten (10) different U.S. states and territories.
This is an ongoing achievement program that recognizes continued exploration of additional states and territories. The maximum achievable number of states and territories will depend on the availability of routes and the member's desire to explore.
- Rides must be of the following types:
- ACP brevets and flèches;
- RUSA brevets, populaires, arrows and darts;
- RUSA permanents and permanent populaires;
- RUSA sanctioned Super Randonnée permanents;
- 1200km events held in the United States after 1998.
- Routes must pass through or be contained within any of the 50 states of the United States, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, ...). Each state or territory through which the ride passes is counted and multiple states/territories can be achieved on a single ride.
- There is no time limit to earn this award.
- Only RUSA members may apply and each qualifying ride must be completed while an active member of RUSA.
- A minimum of ten states or territories must be completed to receive initial recognition.
- The award consists of a plaque and a set of nameplates of the states and territories achieved.
- After achieving the initial recognition, members can apply for additional state/territory nameplates to add to their award as they are earned. Additional nameplates will be provided free to award recipients in increments of at least five states/territories.
- Recognition will be given online and in American Randonneur as members achieve the minimum award level and claim additional states.
American Explorer "Series" - A member is considered to have completed an American Explorer Series by riding in all 50 U.S. states. After completing these, the member may start over and be recognized for revisiting these states. Ride in Washington DC and U.S. territories are tallied with the current series (i.e., before the next series is started by revisiting a U.S. state). NOTE: The website currently only displays tallies for the first series.
RUSA congratulates the riders who earned and applied for the American Explorer award, and awardees who've completed one or more AmEx "Series".
Apply for this award online.