April 8, 2020 Board Meeting




Held April 8, 2020


A meeting of the RUSA Board of Directors was convened by telephone conference and called to order by the president at 17:03 PDT.

The Directors in attendance were:

• Debra Banks

• Pete Dusel

• John Lee Ellis

• John Ende

• Lois Springsteen

• Tim Sullivan

• Dave Thompson



A motion was made and passed to approve the meeting minutes for March 11, 2020 and the meeting minutes for March 23, 2020,

The following e-votes were approved on a motion by Tim and seconded by Dave:

            Pausing the P12 and R12 awards for the month of March and until RUSA starts resuming sanctioning events that have been suspended due to the Covid19 pandemic. Also riders will have an additional 2 months from the resumption of events to complete make up rides for the P12 and R12

            Creating a Pandemic Response Committee consisting of Sarah Bergstrom, Pete Dusel, John Ende, Mark Thomas and Rob Welsh to make recommendations to the Board on when to restart sanctioning events

Approving the application of Tom Dosik as the RBA for the Alaska region

Lois presented a treasurer’s report including a Statement of Financial Position, a Statement of Financial Position Comparison, a Statement of Activity, including one for 2019, and a cash flow analysis for the rest of 2020. Lois emphasized that the cash flow analysis is an evolving plan that will be updated on an ongoing basis

Cap’n reported on the Pandemic Response Committee and its recommendations. After discussion the Board unanimously agreed that RUSA will not sanction any events in the month of May. Dave will prepare a notice to the RBAs to be sent by April 15, 2020.

John Lee reported on the work by the Web Team in a written report to the Board. This included the new production server, the code changes to accept non identifying gender designations, updated fleche rules, the ability to handle 3 day submission of calendaring an event, importing PBP2019 results, processing make up rides for 5 members, and ongoing priorities and initiatives.

Dave and John Lee discussed providing members with international randonneuring news that may be of interest to members. John Lee said it can be expanded to include national news that a region may share with the whole membership. The Board agreed that this is worth pursuing. Dave and John Lee will review how this can be handled technologically. Then RUSA will need to locate a volunteer to edit submittals once there is an agreed approach.

Tim reported on the ongoing litigation. Starr’s motion for summary judgment has been continued to June 8, 2020 due to the Court closure in Texas. The Romo parties have responded to discovery requests.

Dave reported on insurance. He has a proposal from McKay insurance. Dave is trying to determine the amount of unearned premium that will be refunded to RUSA by ASI on the cancelation of the policy if RUSA proceeds with the McKay proposal

The Board then discussed the current status of the permanents.

John Lee reported on the Rules Committee.  The fleche rules were aligned with the ACP rules. The rules for credit for same day multiple events and the lighting rule issue raised by Deb still need work.

Deb has no news on the Rando Scout Award and how awardees are shown on the website and in American Randonneur.

Pete reported that Bruce Herbitter, the RBA for Alabama, has requested the expansion of his region into Mississippi. After a motion by Pete and seconded by Dave it was agreed that he could expand into Mississippi.

Cap’n will distribute Handbooks to those who have purchased the Handbooks once the stay at home order is lifted. Pete had reported on how many have been sold.

The Board is still looking for a volunteer who will help rewrite the handbook so it can be posted on the RUSA website.

Whether a 3-Day notice period for events will be considered once RUSA resumes sanctioning events

The meeting was adjourned at 19:06 PDT.