MINUTES OF A MEETING
OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF
RANDONNEURS USA, INC.
Held APRIL 4, 2018
A meeting of the RUSA Board of Directors was convened by telephone conference and called to order at 1700 PDT by the President.
The following Directors were in attendance:
• Debra Banks
• John Lee Ellis
• John Capn Ende
• Nigel Greene
• Jake Kassen
• Dave Thompson
Lois Springsteen was absent and no others were in attendance.
The minutes from the March 7, 2018 board meeting were approved.
The Treasurer reported that the taxes have been filed except for Rhode Island which is due by the end of June, that the financial report in American Randonneur was well-received, and that the back order of reflective vests has been eliminated.
The President announced that there is a new form to submit routes for RUSA approval that is designed to streamline the process. Peer review is intended to be conducted by reviewers with local knowledge, and ultimately he will work with the Routes Committee to update the RUSA database for legacy courses.
The group discussed the Waiver Advisory Committee’s progress with seven topics being addressed:
- Communication of waiver standard needed at least annually
- Template: League of American Bicyclists with the modification “To the fullest extent of the law”
- Form: Electronic vs. paper. Committee is exploring having a national system for Permanents.
- Retention: Publication of state statutes so that permanent owners and RBAs can retain waivers for their respective statute plus one year.
- Duration: One waiver per event, including Permanents. No annual waiver
- Backstop: Mechanism needed to ensure that Permanent owners have signed a waiver at some point. Looking at feasibility to build a waiver into the membership process.
- Paper signing process: format to have rider signature and waiver on same page
20th Anniversary planning was discussed with regard to awards. Medals and patches will be created and the RBA Liaison will conduct a survey of RBAs to finalize quantities and cost sharing with RUSA.
The contents of the initial membership mailing was discussed and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis with an eye toward cost vs. membership fee.
Domestic 1200k growth and participation was discussed with regard to U.S. capacity for these events. Data analysis and discussion of this topic will be ongoing.
The meeting was adjourned at 1908 PDT.